According to the Department of Education, The purpose of Vermont's Framework of Standards and Learning Opportunities is to improve student learning. The standards will be used in three ways:
1. To provide a structure from which standards-based district, school, and classroom curriculum can be developed, organized, implemented, and assessed.
2. To provide the basis for the development of a state, local, and classroom comprehensive assessment system.
3. To make explicit what may be included in statewide assessments of student learning.
The Grade Expectations can be found on pages 30-37 of "Grade Expectations for Vermont's Framework of Standards and Learning Opportunities, Summer 2004"
- Geography Standards on Page 24
- Social Science Standards begin on Page 22.
- Standard 3.9 on page 15 deals with sustainability. This goes along with geography in understanding human/environment relations.
- Standard 1.15 on page 10 is also useful in the study of geography.
It is necessary to have the Acrobat® Reader to view the standards. To obtain the reader follow this link.