B.S., M.S., Ph.D.:
Advisor: Leslie Trotter
Thesis: A Branch-and-Cut-and-Price
Implementation for Airline Crew Scheduling
Research Interests: Integer
programming, computational optimization, CS education
- J. Ellis-Monaghan, A. McDowell, I. Moffatt, G. Pangborn, DNA origami and the complexity of Eulerian circuits with turning costs, Natural Computing, accepted pending revision.
- J. Ellis-Monaghan, G. Pangborn, L. Beaudin, D. Miller, N. Bruno, A. Hashimoto, Minimal Tile and Bond-Edge Types for Self-Assembling DNA Graphs, invited chapter for Discrete and Topological Models in Molecular Biology, Jonoska & Saito, Eds pp. 241-270, 2014.
- J. Ellis-Monaghan, G. Pangborn, An example of practical organization for undergraduate research experiences, PRIMUS23 (9), pp. 805-814, 2013..
- J. Ellis-Monaghan, G. Pangborn, Using DNA Self-assembly Design Strategies to Motivate Graph Theory Concepts, Mathematical Modeling of Natural Phenomena, 6, no. 6 (2011) 96-107.
- L. Beaudin, J. Ellis-Monaghan, G. Pangborn, R. Shrock, A Little Statistical Mechanics for the Graph Theorist, Discrete Mathematics, 310 (13-14), pp. 2037-2053, 2010.
- G. Ashline, K-D. Crisman, J. Ellis-Monaghan, Z. Kadas, G. Pangborn, L. Simons, What we learned…by organizing and hosting an MAA sectional meeting, MAA Focus, April/May 2009.
- A. Dean, J. Ellis-Monaghan, S. Hamilton, G. Pangborn, Unit Rectangle Visibility Graphs, Electronic Journal of Combinatorics, 15, #R79, 2008.
- J. Ellis-Monaghan, P. Gutwin, J. Lewis, and G. Pangborn, Graph Drawing for Floorplanning with Flexible Blocks, Congressus Numerantium 178, pp. 147-159, 2006.
- J. Ellis-Monaghan, P. Gutwin, J. Lewis, and G. Pangborn, Principles and Preliminary Results for Force-directed Floorplanning with Malleable Blocks, Congressus Numerantium, 175, pp. 81-96, 2005.
- M. Battig and G. Pangborn, Pilot Studies Introducing Collaborative and Distance Learning Paradigms in a Residential Environment. Information Systems Education Journal, 3 (13), 2005. http://isedj.org//3/13. ISSN 1545-679X. (Also appears in The Proceedings of ISECON 2004: ISSN: 1542-7382.)
- G. Pangborn, Operations Research and the Information Systems Curriculum. Information Systems Education Journal, 3 (13), 2005. http://isedj.org//3/15. ISSN 1545-679X. (Also appears in The Proceedings of ISECON 2004: ISSN: 1542-7382.)
- J. Snowdon, R. Anbil, and G. Pangborn, The Airline Crew Scheduling Problem: Dual Simplex, Volume, and Volume/SPRINT Solutions, IBM Research Technical Report RC21642, 2000.
- Travel funding and lodging for Teaching Discrete and Algebraic Mathematical Biology to Undergraduates, Workshop at the Ohio State University Mathematical Biosciences Institute.
- Joanna Ellis-Monaghan (PI), Greta Pangborn - NSF Algebra, Number Theory, and Combinatorics, New Graph Theory from and for Nanoconstruct Design Strategies, June 2010-May 2013.
- Greta Pangborn, Joanna Ellis-Monaghan, Katelyn Heath – Mentored student grant from the Vermont NASA-National Space Grant College and Fellowship Program, Summer 2012
- Greta Pangborn (PI), Joanna Ellis-Monaghan, Michael Battig - Enhancing Mathematics and Computer Science Opportunities in a Supportive Liberal Arts Environment, NSF STEM Scholarship Program, Fall 2008 through Spring 2013
- Greta Pangborn, Joanna Ellis-Monaghan, Patrick Redmond – Mentored student grant from the Vermont NASA-National Space Grant College and Fellowship Program, Summer 2008
- Designing Tile Types for Branched Junction Molecule Methods, SMC Junior Faculty Summer Research Grant, Summer 2008
- Greta Pangborn, Joanna Ellis-Monaghan, Sarah Hamilton – Mentored student grant from the Vermont NASA-National Space Grant College and Fellowship Program, Summer 2006 through Spring 2007
- Greta Pangborn (PI), Joanna Ellis-Monaghan - Graph Theoretical Approaches to Netlist Layout, NSF EPSCoR Grant, Summer 2006
- Joanna Ellis-Monaghan (PI), Greta Pangborn - Cadence Design Systems support for undergraduate research for netlist layout project, Spring-Summer 2006
- Joanna Ellis-Monaghan, Greta Pangborn - Mentored Student Support for Netlist Layout, SMCFaculty Development Committee Grant, Spring 2006
- Joanna Ellis-Monaghan (PI), Greta Pangborn - Graph Theoretical Techniques for Netlist Layout, NSF EPSCoR Grant, Summer 2005
- Joanna Ellis-Monaghan, Greta Pangborn - Mentored Student Support for Netlist Layout Tools, SMC Faculty Development Committee Grant, Spring 2005
- DIMACS Reconnect Conference, Integrating Information from Sequence and Evolution: An Introduction to Computational Biology, Sponsored by the National Science Foundation, August 2004
- Support for the development of a blended traditional/distance learning e-Commerce course, SMC Educational Technology Committee Grant, Spring 2003