Practice with Downloading Internet Files and Programs
In order to watch the video, you will need to download the free RealPlayer to your computer first. This will also give you experience with downloading files from the Internet. RealPlayer is a free audio/video player for Internet files. It lets you listen to and view news events from all over the world, music, entertainment, sports, etc. It's an excellent tool for your ESL/EFL Listening class, and we will experiment with it more when we focus on using the Internet for CALL. The download will take 18 minutes for a 28.8 modem, less if you have a faster Internet connection. Please be patient.
1. Print out these instructions first.
2. To get the Free RealPlayer, also called Basic RealPlayer, click Get RealPlayer - Free.
3. You will be asked if you want to install and run this program. Please click "Yes". You may download from any of the locations that appear, but it is best to choose the one that is closest to you in order to reduce download time.
4. Be patient while the file is being downloaded. This will take several minutes, depending on the speed of your Internet connection.
5. When prompted about installations, always choose the default (= pre-selected) settings and click NEXT.
6. When prompted to fill out some information about your computer and yourself, please do so and give your e-mail address. Then the program will be installed for set-up.
7. You will be prompted to restart your computer to launch the program. Click OK.
8. When asked whether you want an icon placed on your desktop, say YES.
6. Click on the link below to see the video. RealPlayer will automatically be launched to view it. Again, depending on the speed of your Internet connection, the process (buffering) can take up to 5 minutes.
Welcome Video for GSL520: CALL Online (Please click.)
This page was last revised on: Wednesday, October 03, 2012