ENG103: Academic English for Name _________________
Critical Thinking and Communication in Business (BU113)
Stages of Group Development
DIRECTIONS: Use the notes you took in class to complete the questions.
Circle T (true) or F (false).
1. T/F Team work belongs to the area of management.
2. The purpose of the exercise of having several people lift up a hefty, male student from the floor to the table was to
a. demonstrate that women are not as strong as men.
b. demonstrate that more can be accomplished in a group than alone.
c. bring some humor to the classroom.
d. make fun of the students involved in this exercise.
3. T/F Each team will experience four stages of development.
4. T/F During the forming stage team members usually express strong disagreement.
5. Cultural differences and different values/opinions may arise in the ___________ stage.
6. The storming stage can be characterized (described) as a ________________________.
7. Synonyms for norms are ____________ and ____________.
8. T/F During the norming stage group members obey and enforce the rules.
9. During the __________________ stage everyone acts alike.
10. T/F During the performing stage everyone acts alike.
11. T/F Teams follow well-known rules during the _______________ stage.
12. T/F During the performing stage differences are accepted and used to the group's advantage.
13. T/F In the Asian culture open conflict is accepted and expected.
14. T/F In the US culture it is not acceptable or expected to express conflict openly.
15. T/F Conflict is always bad.
© 2006 Christine Bauer-Ramazani, Saint Michael's College. Last updated: September 05, 2017